New Materials for Building Construction
- Nanomaterials : Nanotechnology offers tremendous potential for improving building materials, and yeah nanomaterials are made using nanotechnology
Nanomaterials in Building Construction :
– Strong industry interest in use of nanostructural materials to improve service life and flammability performance of building materials.
– Lack of measurement science capability to predict service life and flammability performance of nanostructured materials.
Popular Nanomaterials which are used in building construction :
- Carbon nanotubes
- Silicon dioxide nanoparticles
- Titanium dioxide nanoparticles
- Iron oxide nanoparticles
- Copper nanoparticles
- Silver nanoparticles
- Quantum dots
Benefits of nanomaterials for building construction :
- Replacement of steel cables by much more powerful carbon nanotubes in suspension bridges and cable- stayed bridges.
- Use of nano-clays in concrete to enhance its plasticity and flowability
- Incorporation of resistive carbon nanofibers in concrete roads in snowy areas.
- Self – healing Concrete
Major downside of concrete, is that you can’t avoid cracks in it after some time. These cracks are caused by exposure to water and chemicals.
Therefore there is a building construction material in the realm of self – healing concrete in development, which can solve many common problems of concrete like cracks we mentioned earlier. This material is also called bacterial self- healing concrete because this concrete consists of many bacterias like Bacillus cohnii, Bacillus filla, Bacillus parturii etc.
The mechanism of this healing is due to secondary hydration of non- or partially reacted cement particles present in the concrete matrix. Due to capillary forces water is repeatedly drawn into micro cracks under changing wet and dry cycles, resulting in expansion of hydrated cement particles due to the formation of calcium silicate hydrated and calcium hydroxide. These reaction products are able to completely seal cracks.
Advantages of Self- healing concrete :
- The self healing concrete helps in reducing maintenance and repair costs of steel reinforced concrete structures.
- Life of building will increase as concrete will heal itself.
- It is lightweight and cheap in cost.
- Green- mix concrete : Green mix concrete are considered as those concrete which are made from wastes of concrete that are eco- friendly in nature.
New Materials for building construction is not just about making the building more stronger or lighter but also about making them more eco- friendly and Green- mix concrete does this job perfectly.
Green concrete uses less energy in production and produces less carbon dioxide than normal concrete in Green Concrete.
Features of Green- mix concrete :
- Optimizes use of available materials.
- Green- mix concrete uses local and recycled materials for building construction.
- Better performance.
- Reduced creep/ shrinkage.
- Reduced carbon
- No increase in cost.
- Synthetic spider silk : Spider silk is one of the newest material as well as the natural world’s most impressive materials, which offers extremely high strength for relatively low density that makes this material even stronger than steel.
- Fly Ash : Fly Ash is also known as Pulverised fuel ash. Fly ash is mostly used for the replacement for portland cement used in producing concrete. Fly ash is nearly as same as volcanic ash. Fly ash concrete has lots of strength and durability that means it can last longer and can hold lots of loads.
- Fly ash is an environmental friendly solution.
- Increased density
- Can also helps in reducing the heat of hydration.
- Also prevents the destructive expansion.
New Materials for Interior design :
- Metal Roofing : Metal Roofs was mostly used for warehouses or for garages but with new modern technology, metal roofs are become way more cooler both in style and temperature for new homes. Metal roofs comes in many options like copper, stainless steel and aluminum. All of them offers durability and high insulation solar reflectance.
- Fire retardant
- Low maintenance
- Energy efficient
- Low weight
- Asphalt Shingles : Asphalt Shingles is one of the most used material for roofing and why it is popular ?
Why it is popular ?
- Low Cost
- Easy to install
- Variety of colors
- Suitable for most residential applications
- Easy to repair
- Fire resistant
- Clay and Concrete tiles : These tiles are one of the most durable material available for roofing, because it offers resistance to rain, fire, decay and mould.Clay and concrete tiles are very heavy and also requires additions roof framing.These tiles also add textures and elegance to roof which makes your home more attractive
- Long Lasting
- Low maintenance
- Variety of colors
- Non combustible.
- Natural wood : Natural wood are made up of pure wood, so it provides the texture of pure nature and yes it definitely improve the look of your house. It is long- lasting and wear- resistant.
- Can be repaired easily so low maintenance cost.
- Provides vintage look.
- Engineered Wood : Engineered wood is artificially manufactured or you say man made material for flooring, but it still consists almost entire pure wood. It is designed or faster installation than natural wood and it also provides more strength.
- It is specially designed to reduce the damp, moisture problems associated with natural wood.
- It also provides very low maintenance.
- Provides more stability.
- Linoleum : Linoleum flooring is also called lino. It is an artificial material which is made up of natural raw materials like limestone, cork dust, wood flour, jute and oil. It also provides more durability than vinyl and it is also very easy to install.
- Incredibly durable can last long up to 50 years if maintained properly.
- Eco- friendly.
- Water resistant
- It is very soft in nature, so it is very comfortable underfoot.
- Indoor Furniture
- Dining Tables
- TV cabinets
- Outdoor Furniture
- Swimming pools
- LED & CFL
- Decorative lighting and lamps